Friday, May 21, 2010

Rainny day craft project

Thursday was the first real day of summer to me because I finished my final exam the night before.  Somehow the weather did not get the memo that I felt like being outside because it rained and rained.  At about 9:00 am Ella looked like one of Dr. Seuss's  Cat and the Hat kids gazing out at the window at the very wet playground.  We had to get creative.  I had just bought some disposable diapers for Stone to use for our camping trip (because who would want to pack around cloth diapers in the tent for the whole world to smell?).  We decided to use the diaper box to turn it into a house.  I was personally and selfishly wanting to turn the box into something like a bug, but Ella insisted on a house.  With three coats of paint and lots of glue we killed the whole day building our mansion.  We played games, cooked, and played with Stone in between coats of paint drying.  The whole dining room table was covered with paint drippings and we even had a huge puddle of green roof paint on the carpet.  Thank you washable paint for no stains! 
 Yes Spiderman was in our decor too.  Ella got a spiderman ring at a birthday party and the ring part broke. She was so sad about it, but kept the Spiderman face anyway. This was her idea to add it as a door knob and I thought it was brilliant.
In the middle of our doll house adventures the maintenance people came to repair something on our freezer and they contributed to our cardboard collection so we could have a roof! What perfect timing!

This is the Bennett family hanging out in our cool house.
Aren't these great?  I love all the little fingers she drew in blue.

2 comments:

Keren said...

SOOOOOO creative and cute. What a fantastic way to salvage a rainy day!

Bennett's said...

It was so much fun. She's been putting a bunch of her toy plastic animals in it for the past week so I told her we should make an Ark out of a box next time. She loves loves to paint! An easy way to kill a whole day with this kind of craft project.