Sunday, June 05, 2011

A gnome takes up residence

We are working on the upcoming nursery this summer.  In the midst of summer school, working, internship, family life, and some much needed relaxing that happens much less that it should.  We have decided to do a woodland creature theme in the nursery with more natural colors and a more vintage feel.  Since Stone has never gotten anything "boy decor" like, we are keeping him in mind since he will one day share a room with baby boy #2. 

I've made my design idea pages, but the challenge and fun part is figuring out how to make as much stuff by hand instead of buying everything.  So this is how the gnome began.  I found that Ella had some scultpy clay in her art bin.  It's a colored clay that you bake in the oven at 275 degrees for about 30 min.  So since the supplies were handy, I set to work on a creature friend that I hope to put in a homemade terranium eventually.  I've never worked with this type of clay.  It's pretty cool because it becomes easier to work with by the heat of your fingers. 

I found something similar on Etsy.com but the woman was asking $45 for one gnome and one mushroom. They were much smaller than the ones I made too.  Well that is lame to pay that much.  Anyway here are our new plant friends.  I poked holes in the bottoms of them with thick gauge florist wire before baking.  So when they came out I was able to put the wire in the holes to help them stand up in the dirt.  It was a fun way to spend a slow Saturday afternoon. 


0 comments: