Monday, September 06, 2010

When friends come to visit you learn to make sushi.

When good friends come to town that means you have great food to go along with the company.  Matt's friend, Justin, from college came to visit us last week from Florida.  It's been a few years since we've seen him, but it was a blast having him.  We got to visit the Loop, Soulard's Farmers market, the Arch, and drive all over town showing him places.

I've wanted to experiment with making sushi for a while.  I tried about a year and a half ago and it was not very successful.  So with company coming into town we thought it would be fun to give it another go.  Justin was super excited to give it a shot too.  He is like Matt when it comes to being comfortable in the kitchen.  So we all rolled up our sleeves to try homemade sushi and eggrolls.  It was amazing!  We made Ella a California roll (which has imitation crab meat in it) and the got both kids into bed.  We sat down to sushi made with raw tuna, raw salmon, and Tempura fried shrimp.  It was amazing how little amount of meat it took to make all the rolls. We made so much that we invited two friends to come over after we were stuffed and they helped finish it all off.  So it quickly became a small and very loud party.  Sushi just has that effect on a get together because it's a more interactive meal. 



Here is our first Tempura shrimp roll, avocado, carrots, and homemade spicy sauce.  This one was an inside out roll (the rice on the outside of the wrap).


Rolling it up!

Ella loves her California rolls!


 Justin was the man in charge of making the eggrolls.  These were by far the best eggrolls any of us have ever had. Definitely worth trying this at home!

Make sure you make a lot of these because they won't last long!

Yummy sushi rolls!
We even had the pickled ginger and wasabi to go with it.

The guys being silly with their rolls.  We dared Matt to taste that wasabi that he's holding but he was wise to not try it straight.

What a fun party! I think this will replace the 1970's fondue party (although those are fun too).  Tonight I made sushi again for just Ella and I while Matt was at work.  I cooked the sushi rice earlier in the day so it would be cool and ready.  Now that I've got the hang of it, I made 3 California rolls in under 15 minutes. That's the kind of fast meal I like.

2 comments:

lcourt26 said...

Hey Melissa! I've been lurking! Where did you get your recipes for the sushi? I have a sushi making kit and have tried it a couple of times. You've inspired me to attempt again!

Lindsey

Bennett's said...

Hey Lindsey, well we didn't really use any particular recipe. We just bought raw sushi grade tuna and salmon and raw shrimp. We fryed the shrimp in tempura batter. You don't need that much meat. 1lb of meat in any combo can make enough for like 12 rolls (lots). So only get a little bit. Make sure you make your sushi rice ahead of time and let it cool and mix it with sushi vinigar too. At our local grocery store they make fresh sushi so that is who I talked to before making it (they taught me to cover the matt with plastic wrap). The spicy sauce you can google. It was some red pepper sauce that I found at Whole Foods mixed with Mayo. The eggrolls recipe was just on the back of the eggroll wrappers. It's so fun to make it. Let me know how it turns out.