Thursday, February 22, 2007

Adventures in Eating




We are off to a fun start with this whole eating solid food thing. I'm not sure if Ella likes it all the time, but I find it absolutely hilarious. We started with Rice cereal and she did not like it at all. There was crying and puffy lips and down right disapproval. So mama got creative and disguised the cereal with a little bit of mashed bananas and Ella has taken to eating this. I do find that smearing it on her face is more entertaining then keeping things neat. If you look closely at the pictures of her in her diaper you will see rice cereal all over her chest. This is due to getting in the mouth and then blowing it everywhere or simply letting it slide out of her mouth for fun. We need to maybe get that more under control!

I've also decided to not buy prepared food, but make all of it from scratch. I may go back on this decision if it becomes crazy, but I think I will like it this way. I bought a kit that allows me to make enough food of one item for a week and put them in ice trays (1 oz. servings) and it comes with a lid for the trays. So I simply make enough for the week and then put them in the freezer and then after they are frozen I can put them into freezer bags and grab what I need out at a time. I think this will make it easy for going to her sitter's house during the week. It's also nice because I don't have to mash food everyday. I can do it in bulk and use my blender. I think I like this process because I naturally love to cook anyway. It's a heck of a lot cheaper too. Ella likes to sit in her highchair and watch me work.

Last night...introduction to apples!!!! One would think this would be an enjoyable experience. What child does not like to have warm applesauce sliding down their throat? Well, this new texture was a bit too different for this dramatic child. I think she liked the taste, but could not get over the texture. There were no tears. She's would just gag and then open up for more. Obviously this made for many laughs from Mama and Daddy. Next on my agenda is to introduce veggies. I think this will be the source of many laughs on my end.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i absolutely adore her!!! hahahahaha... give em hell ella!

Anonymous said...

How adorable!! Brings back memories! When Bill and Erin were babies, I always had to mix fruit in with their baby cereal, or they wouldn't eat it. Making your own baby food sounds like a lot of work, but will definitely taste better!! And more healthy. What a wonderful mom you are! I love the pictures!

Love, Gramy

Liz said...

You gotta know I love drama queens (being one myself). What a ham--I love that look on her face in that second picture (from the top). I need to come over and watch dinner time--it sounds very entertaining!